Made By Gina's Custom Creations

Made By Gina's Custom Creations
Celtic Morning

My Spoonflower

Monday, May 11, 2020

Fun with Face Masks

Life sure has been crazy the past couple of months of 2020.  Every day I wonder if life will ever have a chance at going back to normal... or at least what each of us consider to be normal in our every day lives.

In light of all the COVID-19 things going on...business shut downs, stay at home orders, etc., many places are now requiring people to wear face masks.  So I've been making masks for family, friends, coworkers... pretty much anyone who asks me to do so, or mentions they are in need of one or more.  My go-to mask pattern is the free Florence Face Mask (formerly named the Fu Face Mask).  I get so many requests for this because of how comfortable it feels, and how it has excellent facial coverage, including wrapping around the chin.  I'm also finding that more people prefer the ties over elastic, as the masks with elastic are hurting the backs of the ears, and rubbing the skin raw.  So I will say that I highly recommend this pattern for face masks!



With many of the masks, I'm using my own surface designs, printed on Spoonflower fabric from my Spoonflower Shop: Gina's Custom Creations.
Here are some photos of a few masks I've made using the Florence pattern:





Florence Masks:
Made with fabric remnants from my stash
Florence Masks:
Made using swatches from my
own personal fabric designs.

Florence Masks















Fabric Purchased on Spoonflower:  Pictured from Left to Right...
"Notions in Pen - Zipper Tassels" ~ Designed By: emilysanford
"Mod Ovals on White"; "COVID19 - The Battle is On"; "COVID19 - The Battle is On - V.5"; and
"COVID19 - The Battle is On - V.2" ...Designed by me.


Besides the above masks, I've also been making some customized masks here and there as requested by some of my friends and coworkers, or just to surprise someone with a fun mask as a gift after overhearing them say they wish they had this or that, LOL. 
I sometimes have to find and use *free clip-art that resembles the image a person wants, which I use as inspiration to create a similar design for use with applique.  (Some times I will purchase the right to use a clip-art image, depending on the situation).  And sometimes I design my own personal image to use on a project, if I'm able to.
*DISCLAIMER:  Any time I make projects that use clip-art images created by someone else, (such as the plethora of free clip-art one can find online at various websites), I DO NOT SELL any of those items.  I respect copyright laws, and only use them on items I gift or donate.  (If I purchase the permissions to use a clip-art image on items that I sell, then that's a whole different story).

So then here are some of the fun masks I've made and gifted in the last couple of weeks...

Canadian Flag Mask
Made for a Coworker whose from Canada.
I had overheard him in the hall outside my office, mentioning to someone
that he wanted a Canadian Flag mask.  I went home and made him this.
Turning pieces of a Harley Davidson bandanna into a mask.
A very good friend mailed me a stack of bandannas.
Two of the bandannas were Harley Davidson themed.
He asked me to make him a couple masks from them.
I just love how this one turned out!

Harley Davidson themed masks.
Made from HD bandannas.
Side view of Harley masks to show the difference
between the two different patterns I used.


I had a request for a coconut bikini top themed mask.
This is what I came up with, LOL!

Close-up to show the
coconut cocktail applique.


Buck Tooth Smile Mask, LOL!

My brother's FB post,
after receiving the
Buck Tooth Smile mask
I mailed to him, LOL!



A coworker asked if I could make her a mask depicting a
flamingo with a mustache.  LOL!

The basis for this mustache-wearing flamingo was a clip-art image I found online.
However, I added a few extra elements to it to make it more fun, to reflect the person who will be wearing it.
Note: I honestly do not know who created the original clip-art image in order to credit that person!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Gina! Just wanted you to know that you commented on my May 5 blog post and I was unable to reply to you because you've set your Google profile to "no-reply commenter." I responded to you on my blog post, so I hope you see it! Thank you for the nice things you said!

    ReplyDelete