Made By Gina's Custom Creations

Made By Gina's Custom Creations
Celtic Morning

My Spoonflower

Thursday, May 21, 2020

"The Yearning" - A Modern Mini Quilt




I just finished my Modern Mini Quilt for the #ModernMiniQuiltChallenge at 11:30pm last night, and got some photos of it this morning. WHEW! Talk about cutting things close since the deadline is today at 5pm Central Time!
My entry is called, "The Yearning"
It features an image of my son, surrounded by dark, modern fabrics with a pop of golden sunshine seeping through. The dark colors represent depression and sadness in missing my son throughout the stay at home orders of Covid19. As well as the loss of one of my beloved cats, Jasper, who passed away one week ago today, after being a part of my family for 14 years. The improv-piecing represents the chaos and upheaval in life these days. The zipper pull represents the unzipping of the dark and dreary, to let the sun finally shine in and bring forth happiness and contentment to my soul. So in short, The Yearning stands for my desire to have things go back to normal... to be released from the depression and anxiety... to once again be happy.
I mainly improv-pieced this mini quilt, which measures 12.5 inches wide x 13.5 inches high, using a mixture of scrap fabrics leftover from previous projects. Some of the fabrics used are from Northcott's Stonehenge collection. The sun and burst of golden pieces that are appliqued on top of my quilt, are fussy cut from two of my own personal surface designs on Spoonflower, called "Blazing Sun" and "Hypnotic Sunflowers, Large Scale". 


I machine quilted this, which is not my forte! I usually pay someone else to machine quilt my projects... so I am quite proud of myself for being able to pull this off!

Watching The Voice on Hulu while sewing.



No comments:

Post a Comment