Made By Gina's Custom Creations

Made By Gina's Custom Creations
Celtic Morning

My Spoonflower

Sunday, May 29, 2011

My EAA AirVenture Quilt Block Contest Quilt Block:

Another quilting contest has fallen into my list of project-to-do's!
EAA AirVentureQuilt Block Contest

I couldn't resist entering this contest when I found out about it.  My dad is a pilot.  He also builds and sells Challenger aircraft, as well as teaches pilot lessons.  He's actively involved in the Oshkosh, Wisconsin EAA every year, and I decided to make a quilt block in honor of my dad.  My dad loves nautical scenes, and especially lighthouses, so I made my quilt block to reflect a vintage bi-plane flying along the seacoast at night, with a lighthouse brightly lit.

Here's my quilt block:
"Seaside Night Flight"
By Gina Klemp-Koston
Unfortunately, since I'm still learning to monogram with my sewing machine,
I ended up getting the monogramming really crooked on the back!
Good thing they don't judge by the back!


I created the lighthouse, landscape, sky background, moon and water from cutting and sewing together fabric pieces that I cut to the shape I wanted.  The bi-plane was actually cut from airplane fabric, then the airplane was appliqued onto the block...the lighthouse and moon are also appliqued on.  
I used silver thread to enhance the bigger stars in the sky, and I used a bright yellow thread to make the light beams from the lighthouse.
This was a fun and challenging project!  Now I just gotta keep my fingers crossed on the outcome!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on having your quit block displayed at Oshkosh! You made a great block and it deserves to be seen. :o) As a quilter, this is one of my favorite parts of the airshow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Barbara! I have been wanting to make and submit more blocks for this part of the airshow, but they seem to have cancelled it the last two years in a row. Very sad. And IDK what was the reason.

    ReplyDelete